Excellence in research
The Center of Computer Science stands for excellent basic research and the scientific development of cutting-edge application fields in a broad area of modern core computer science. With its innovative structure, the centre facilitates inter-faculty and interdisciplinary top-level research with an international orientation. The results are globally visible and recognised.
Our research builds the scientific foundation for the rapid developments in computer science. The dynamics of the sector are reflected in our research portfolio: Our core research fields, such as machine learning, software engineering and IT security, are constantly being enhanced and complemented by further sub-disciplines.
The Horst Görtz Institute for IT Security (HGI) with its Cluster of Excellence „Cyber Security in the Age of Large-Scale Attackers“ (CASA) is also part of the CCS. The new foundation of the Max Planck Institute for Security and Privacy further strengthens the city of Bochum as a location for cutting-edge research in computer science and IT security.
- Maribel Acosta (Databases and Information Systems)
- Thorsten Berger (Software Engineering)
- Steffen Bondorf (Distributed and Networked Systems)
- Kevin Borgolte (Software Security)
- Maike Buchin (Theoretical Computer Science)
- Markus Dürmuth (Mobile Security)
- Asja Fischer (Machine Learning)
- Nils Fleischhacker (Theoretical Cryptography)
- Tim Güneysu (Security Engineering)
- Thorsten Holz (Systems Security)
- Timo Hönig (Operating Systems and System Software)
- Eike Kiltz (Cryptography)
- Gregor Leander (Symmetric Cryptography)
- Alexander May (Cryptography and IT Security)
- Amir Moradi (Security Engineering)
- Christof Paar (Embedded Security)
- Martina Angela Sasse (Human-Centred Security)
- Jörg Schwenk (Network and Data Security)
- Thomas Zeume (Logic and Formal Verification)